About Fashion Design
Fashion design fosters students creating their own textiles with natural dyes, and designing and constructing their own original garments. Our young designers learn the basics and move on to advanced techniques as they develop their own fashion line. Our young fashion designers have modeled their creations on the runways of SOMArts, the Children’s Creativity Museum, and community events. Their work and other visual artwork from our young artists can be found for sale in our YAX store.
- Youth Art Exchange x Betabrand, 2016: The YAX Fashion Class pulled together personal market research and interviews with teenagers from all over the city to discover the true needs of a San Francisco high school student- a minimal backpack that won’t hit people on Muni and can also carry everything a creative kid needs. This design is a culmination of all of our ten students working collaboratively to create a backpack to end all backpacks. Visit their page, read more about the design and process.
- Annual fashion shows are at Spring Showcase and the San Francisco Youth Arts Summit
- Design your own prom dress and fashion show, Spring Block Party 2015
- 2015 Fashion and Print collaboration
- Spring Line Fashion Show, Children’s Creativity Museum, 2014
- Photo + Print + Architecture + Fashion Exhibit, Children’s Creativity Museum, 2014
Charlotte Welch | Lead Faculty
Charlotte Welch has spent the last eight years dressing and shaping the style of high profile business professionals, commercial clients, and celebrities. She developed and evolved her keen eye for shape, style, and form during her years as student of fashion in both San Francisco and abroad in Italy. Her extensive travels to Europe have greatly influenced her particular bravura for style and design. Years putting skill to practice in the global fashion industry has put Charlotte ahead of the curve when it comes to understanding personal style for California residents and companies. Charlotte worked with designer Michael Costello out of Los angeles for 6 and a half years, while launching products and campaigns with other companies such as Dropbox, Bonobos, House of Borel and Inglot to name a few. She worked NYFW for 7 seasons and has launched special events with IMG, Paper Magazine and various others. She has always been passionate about fashion and got her inspiration from her Grandmother who was also a seamstress and designer.