We’re just over a week into our summer internships and there’s already so much to celebrate! A few highlights:
- Tomorrow (Thursday), the Asian Art Museum hosts a ribbon cutting and block party to celebrate the launch of the Art/Lit Living Innovation Zone! The Art/Lit LIZ is San Francisco’s newest public art installation, designed by YAX’s young architects!
- Our board is still matching donations for our summer fundraising campaign! Each year, we offer free classes and paid internships to 100s of San Francisco public high school students – we need your help to ensure our continued success. Support our programs with $10, $50, $100 or any amount of your choosing, and our board will match and double your donation. Show your love and give here.
- Summer ’17 YAX architecture interns have been working on a new parklet design, to be installed in the Mission at John O’Connell High School.
- YAX’s filmmaking interns learned the basics of film production, direction, and camera operation and have already all written scripts for the movies they’ll be working on!
- Guest musicians from SFJAZZ have been working with YAX percussion interns to share their knowledge of history, style, and practice – last week they focused on Puerto Rico with Hector Lugo, and this week Carlos Caro shares the music of Cuba.
- The print shop at Mission Gráfica has been full of energy as YAX’s printmaking interns learn screenprinting, color theory, and relief printing.
- Youth Art Exchange is proud to be among the many (1000!) grantees in the California Arts Council’s record-breaking investment in arts programming! Stay tuned here for more information on YAX’s projects, and read more about all of the grant programs and awards in CAC’s announcement.
- We’re getting ready for and counting down the days til our final summer events! RSVP for YAXhibition–our visual arts showcase– and ART(S)MASH youth arts conference.