Youth Art Exchange (YAX) is seeking an experienced faculty artist in Dance to become a part of our vibrant youth arts center in San Francisco. We are hiring a faculty member to start in our Spring 2017 Session, which runs from February 6 — May 23, Mondays & Wednesdays from 4pm — 6pm, with occasional events, meetings, and activities on weekends and evenings.
About Youth Art Exchange:
Youth Art Exchange offers free after-school, weekend and summer programs in visual and performing arts to public high school students in San Francisco. Youth Art Exchange sparks a shared creative practice between professional artists and public high school students, furthering youth as leaders, thinkers, and artists in San Francisco. Our programs combine best practices in arts education and youth development. During the fall session we offer 6 visual & performing art programs (architecture & construction, fashion design, digital music, black & white photography, printmaking and dance).
Candidates must be professional dancers, preferably experienced in working with urban high school youth. Our classes average a 12:1 student ratio. Teaching artists are paid hourly as temporary part-time employees for class time, (2) field trips, prep time, (4) scheduled faculty meetings, as well as regular check-ins with program staff. The ideal candidate will be interested in teaching future sessions of the dance class, in addition to the current course.
Working at Youth Art Exchange includes:
- Developing curriculum and syllabus in collaboration with Program Director
- Attending four faculty meetings and participating in professional development activities.
- Having ongoing communication with students, their families, and YAX staff regarding student issues.
- Seeking opportunities to collaborate with other Youth Art Exchange programs.
- Exposing students to the Bay Area arts scene.
- Developing weekly lesson plans, and arranging supplies with Program Director.
- Curriculum and reflection meetings with Program Director.
- Developing and planning class field trips, and final public exhibition / performance.
1. Please submit the following to raffaella [at] youthartexchange dot org by January 6, 2017
Cover letter responding to the following questions:
Please propose a 12 week dance project that you would lead with high school students. (Proposed projects and curriculum do not have to follow traditional curriculum in the proposed discipline.)
What have you done to develop relationships with and among your students?
How have you created curriculum that was challenging and engaging for diverse learners?
Why do you feel that youth dance/art is important to San Francisco?
2. Youth Art Exchange will select candidates for a preliminary phone interview.
3. Candidates will be invited to come in for an interview with YAX staff and youth advisory board. They will be asked to bring a presentation of sample work (candidate’s own and former students’) and a sample lesson plan. As part of the interview, candidates will be asked to facilitate a 15-minute activity demonstrating their approach to teaching.
For more information, please visit http://www.youthartexchange.org
Youth Art Exchange, a project of Tides Center, is an “at‐will” and equal opportunity employer. Applicants and employees shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender (including pregnancy and gender expression) identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law or ordinance. Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise Youth Art Exchange/Tides in writing of special needs at the time of application.