On Saturday, April 30th from 10am-3pm, Youth Art Exchange (YAX) is going to be clearing out a build space for our youth architecture program. Local 2 has donated the space at Golden Gate and Leavenworth to YAX to complete some of our major youth architecture projects starting in May. We need 8-15 people to help clean, paint, and prep the space for our program to launch. We will provide lunch and snacks.
A little about the project: Our project is to build, install and activate an Art/Lit Living Innovation Zone on Fulton Street between the Asian Art Museum and the San Francisco Public Library in partnership with SFPL, Youth Art Exchange, the City of San Francisco Planning Department, and the Civic Center Community Benefit District. Living Innovation Zones (LIZ) are temporary (2-year) installations in and around Market Street, the City’s cultural, civic and economic spine with the primary goal of the program to activate public spaces by engaging and delighting the public. This LIZ will be is an 18-foot dragon structure with a gallery space, play areas, and turf sections. The gallery portion will show rotating artworks, and the space could be used for programming from the Asian Art Museum and the SF Public Library or events for other local institutions. Check out a recent article about this collaboration at Hoodline.
The Art/Lit LIZ collaboration began in the summer of 2015, building on established partnerships in Civic Center and our efforts to increase engagement in the arts for residents, passersby, and organizations, strengthening a sense of community and collaboration. Specifically, with the installation and activation of the Art/Lit LIZ, we aim to respond to the following needs:
- Continue the design and subsequently install the Art/Lit LIZ with young architects from Youth Art Exchange
- Engage residents in Civic Center that do not typically attend arts events
- Spark interactions with the arts that are sustained over a two-year period
- Demonstrate the potential of the arts to enhance Civic Center corridor through public engagement and ongoing arts activation
- Create an active, creative and safe space that has previously been underutilized and difficult to maintain
If you’re able to lend some time and energy to helping us prep the space, sign up for a shift here. Thank you!